Monday, December 03, 2012

One week in

I cannot believe we are wrapping up this trip; as each milestone is reached we are one step closer to stepping off the plane and introducing the US to its newest citizen. I will miss having a daily breakfast buffet, fresh towels, and someone making my bed every day but I will survive :) Now we move our thoughts toward introducing S to the sights, sounds, and food of St Paul. It may be a little less exciting, but way more cozy! Sure, I wish we were coming home in June with 80 degree days but the long stretch of winter is made much more exciting by Advent and Christmas. We have also been so blessed with a membership to the local Children's museum and will be getting in plenty of quality time there.

But back to yesterday - S passed her TB test and so we set out to wander through the medicine and pet markets. They were interspersed only with a row of recently slain pigs set out for purchase. We saw scorpions and turtles and yak body parts galore! I think the St Paul farmer's market might be a touch boring for this girl from Guangzhou! We ended the excursion with a little Cantonese food. I can't express enough how wonderful it is to have a Mandarin-speaking husband. He has had many delightful conversations but maybe even more importantly, can order all the right food.

 

 

 

S and I had a delightful playtime last night. She seems to be distant in the afternoons, which is also when she had the most difficult time the first few days. She is fine during and after dinner. She did go to Ben to carry her around today but I've had a few hugs and smiles. It has been so encouraging to hear from those who've had similar experiences. We have been told that children from foster homes can reject their new Mama, especially if there were close to the foster Mother. I am holding on to that and taking it one day at a time.

 

No comments: