Monday, July 30, 2007

Charles Towne

After wrapping up my time in the NICU I needed to get outta town for a little while and Ben felt the urge as well so we packed up and drove 4 1/2 hours south-to Charleston. I had never been and had been wanting to visit for a while. It didn't disappoint; we came upon great bookstores and lovely architecture as well as beautiful gardens. We wanted to stay in a place close to downtown without having to pay for it and Ben suggested we stay in a hostel, as he had never stayed in an American hostel and has fond memories of sleeping through Europe this way. So we found the "Not-so Hostel" a few blocks from downtown for a mere $50 a night. Well. Apparently $50 doesn't pay for things like hot water and good smells. It was less than ideal but we weren't there very much so we made up for it. Ben took me to a French restaurant where they served the food in Le Creuset dish-ware and it had a good wine and a cozy romantic atmosphere without being pretentious. There were bicycles parked all over town which made me happy. The pictures are: Ben perusing "Blue Bicycle Books,"


Willowy tree in a churchyard



unique and preserved architecture


Ben at Kiawah beach-

and below, our room at Not So Hostel

2 comments:

M. Lumpkin said...

Ben looks happy to be holding coffee at the beach. Was it cold?

What a fun excursion. I have the nasty tendency to want to retreat into my electronic cocoon during time off. I need to learn from my friends.

Also, I've recently added teambubu to my google reader (long overdue) so I shan't be missing as many posts as perhaps I once did. then along comes graduate school we shall see.

Off to watch the legend of Ron Burgundy.

The Nelson Family said...

How lovely! I am in the NICU right now (on call as I type, actually). And I think it just sound like the perfect place to go post-intensive care unit. I'm so glad you guys got a chance to sneak away for such a nice weekend!
Oh and I love the haiku about your furry children!