Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I Accept

So I have this hospital chaplain friend. He's got a blog and he's thrown down the gauntlett that was thrown down by a nurse friend of his.
She describes it as a 'challenge.'
I question that description.

Nonetheless, in the interests of keeping the blogosphere well cluttered (and because I like to do everything my friend suggests I do) . . .
The rules, as I received them, are as follows:

1) Grab the nearest book. 2) Open the book to page 123.
3) Find the fifth sentence. 4) Post the text of the next four sentences on your blog, along with these instructions. 5) Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest!"

What luck (for my typing fingers anyway) that I've finished with Absalom, Absalom for the semester! Not that we are in any way better served by the following passage from Heidegger's collected essays, Poetry, Language, Thought:


"Nor does he mean a rule. He is thinking of what 'touches us.' Who are we? We are those who will, who set up the world as object by way of intentional self-assertion."

Well, that was fun. A real 'hootenanny,' as I intend to put it when I am of the various ages at which my grandparents never, to my knowledge, do.
You should say 'hootenanny' too, and by all means relieve your toes of the guantlett which I now set upon them.

2 comments:

myleswerntz said...

"Information is manipulationed by various authorities and gorups. This is done particularly through advertising, which raises false expectations, creates fictitious needs, and often contradicts the basic values of our Latin American culture and the Gospel. The improper excercise of freedom in these media leads to an invasion of the privacy of persons, who are generall defenseless."

--"the Church's Mission Amid the National Crisis", Oscar Romero, from 'Voice of the Voiceless'.

Anonymous said...

Though we have actually started a blog now, I am refusing to accept the "challenge." I partly have a good excuse, however; the book nearest me is 'Biblia Para Mi' and only has approximately 48 pages which are of heavy cardboard anyway. . .But I still love you guys!
Tracey