Sunday, August 20, 2006

Golden Weekend

Medical-type folks are always throwing around their own set of catch phrases. In Arkansas, at Children's Hospital, phrases included "strong work" and referring to children as "kiddos." It's no different here except there's a whole new set of them. Phrases such as "circling the drain," (close to death) "crazy train," (loony pt, drug seeker, etc), "teed up" (ready to be discharged) and my personal favorites, "golden" and "black" weekend. Everyone who's everyone medically utters (hehe) these phrases, I've seen my own fellow interns start using them as if they've been for years. I'm not sure why, but something about it drives me nuts. In any case, I'm on my golden weekend (both days off) and it's been swell enough. I had intended to sleep the entire time but neither Sophie nor Ben with his early morning bike rides would allow me to do that. But in any case, 8 am is much better than hours that really shouldn't be used for waking any day. The transition from my first rotation of clinics to inpatient can be best described by what I listen to on the way home from work. Last month ranged from Modest Mouse (pink album no. 2 and 3--it's a short drive) and Imogen Heap. This month it's the local Christian station which is really pretty good. Lighthearted, silly, to encouraging words. I am enjoying my patients and their rooms encourage me to visit because they have really amazing views. The hospital is on the edge of a residential area and its views include church steeples and lots of trees and lovely old houses and some even face downtown. One morning my COPD pt was sleeping away while I watched the sun rise from her room.
Transitioning now, to Ben. He met his colleagues this weekend and we joined them for a viewing of snakes on a plane. It truly delivers, folks. We decided to venture away from our usual choice of church pews at St Pauls and visit another church for a change and so went to the Wake Forest campus church. Several new freshmen were there, having just moved in, and managed to make me feel old and reflect on my first days when I met Kristin and Kim and Ashley and Ashley immediately began having dates. What a wonderful and terrifying year it was. Back to the service-this is a Baptist church but between the liturgy and singing all 4 verses to the hymns and the classical music it felt similar to St Pauls. WF is a large sprawling campus dotted with dark brick buildings with big white columns and metal roofs and spiral staircases and I'm so happy that Ben is back in academia. And speaking of, he'd probably want dinner soon. Boys eat a lot.

8 comments:

M. Lumpkin said...

Happy golden weekend! I think Matt is on a black weekend, but since I'm not the medical type I'm not sure. He had to work on saturday and is on call today (and called in right now). The preview for the plane full of snakes movie was enough for me. Some recording called our cell phone and told us to go see it. Ick. Ick. Ick.

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

Oh you make me laugh...I am watching Mork and Mindy as I read and leave you this comment "nanoo, nanoo"...I feel old too thinking about that crazy freshman year..oh but what fun that year was too!
I am glad you had a golden weekend b/c you deserved it!

The Fanks said...

yes, yes, i'm sure snakes on a plane was excellent. the sequel: yaks in a taxi. terrifying.

i'm on VA call Friday and Monday. Is that a black weekend? I sure hope so because I'd like to finish my last VA month of the year strongly.

and, not to make you jealous, but i had a view of the University Hospital while my veteran slept this morning.

myleswerntz said...

PTL. and let me know how Irish lit goes. I've actually been wanting to read more of it these days.

The Fanks said...

What about snakes on a skateboard? And snakes on a bicycle? I think if America is going to get serious about becoming a less fuel-dependent nation, hollywood needs to realize and act on the reality that it shapes our culture as much as law makers.

Or maybe that was the goal of S.O.A.P., to scare folks out of flying. *a

M. Lumpkin said...

These comments inspired a bathtime song:

Snakes on a plane,
Snakes on a plane,
Snakes on a plane spells sooooap.
You can't stand up or you'll get broke.
Snakes on a plane spells soap.

-elody

M. Lumpkin said...

tis a pretty campus. Brandy, I suspect the annoyance with the way your colleagues take up the language is similar to the annoyance at the way kiddos (i.e. freshmen) take up with one another in insta-cliques, just like they'd always been best buds, but are really clinging to one another like clumps of ants in the sea of insecurity that is to leave home and begin college.

If you're digging the mouse you need to hear this [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BI0WQ8/ref=pd_bxgy_text_b/102-0495943-3387337?ie=UTF8].

I shouldn't complain, but call has been hell and so has working saturdays on top of it. I know you dr. kids do this all the time, but I'm ready to stop the world and get off. Nevertheless we've got three new chaplain residents getting their first nervous fear of visiting patient rooms. And I get an office.

Ben, I heard the teaser but not the feature of kid whatshisname. You need to hear some old sage francis stuff I've been digging as well as my new soundtrack to Alice's short film. Also, some of Bjork's "Medualla" (all human sound sampling experiment) are pretty good. And she has a mask made of her own hair. Sorry to hijack your blog but what the hell, you do it to everyone else :)

Love,
Matt

M. Lumpkin said...

Free laptop!?! That's amazing. What kind?