Sunday, April 13, 2008

Around the House

This has been a rather wonderful weekend so far. Sophie started off right with two separate runs on Friday, and spent the rest of the weekend on her favorite perch which has now been marred by a new house that is being built across the street.
I took pictures of things growing around the house. I was so excited about the red tulips that were going to spring up-until I realized that we had bright pink azaelas on either side of the sidewalk. So much for the red contrasting with the black and white house. But the colors are nonetheless bright and brilliant and sing of spring.

I was particularly excited to see the hyacinths growing. They aren't giving off much perfume, which is what I love most about them. Perhaps because this is their first growing season.

This is the beginning of our garden. It includes broccoli, squash, tomatoes, various greens including red leaf lettuce and arugula. I planted a few herbs including tarragon. Some of them are seeds and some were established. I planted marigolds which apparently deter rodents. I'm not sure if 3 will do the trick but I was too cheap to buy more. There are a couple of roots in the way. I decided not to dig them up but rather to leave them in place. They are markers for the planted seeds. They way they project upward reminds me of the rock in the field in Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimph. I hope everyone's weekend is blissful.

3 comments:

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

love it! it beautiful! we have lots of pink azaleas in our yard too...i am all about pink but it is a bit much. the whole neighborhood is full of them. oh well...we are still working on our yard. it has been a bit chilly.
can you picture me raking leaves at 21 weeks...i am a little sore today, but it was good to be outside!

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

yay! he is a master now!!!

The Nelson Family said...

Your flowers are beatiful! Our beagle loves being in that very spot - on top of the couch in front of the window. Sophie and Lucy would be good friends!