Wednesday, December 13, 2006

May I commend to your attention . . .


Well, we had Thanksgiving. And it was good. Brandy cooked a masterful dinner, her family came to call, and Ben feverishly wrote papers between helpings of Turkey.

We consumed; we overconsumed; we reapt the consequences.

With the last of the Turkey bones fed to the pooch, it was time to ready our home for its first Utterian Christmas. Very cozy indeed.

We're in full American Holiday mode--visions of sugarplums and fancy bike accessories are a'dance in me head.



Last week, after a medical conference in Ashville (and a stay at a very nice Bed & Breakfast that Brandy wants to buy) . . .



. . . we headed down a'Little Rock way for early Christmas festivities with clans Ussery, Fankhauser, Utter, and Lumpkin. We tasted of the hospitality of each house, and had a grand time, which we sincerely hope was shared by all.



Babies Silas and Eleanor received baby type stuff, and Joel received his annual drubbing at MarioKart 64. See ya, Sukka'!
(Joel is bound to protest that, in fact, HE administered the drubbing. You, gentle reader, are under no compulsion whatsoever to believe him).


Our excellent friends Melody and Matt Lumpkin, mommy* and chaplain extraordinarire, respectively, not only did us the great kindness of putting up with putting us up for a recent overnight in Little Rock, but are also contributing to this site, which features daily meditations on the Advent.

Tell 'em Ben sent you, or just quietly start your day by sipping slowly on what they have to say.

*of Eleanor, seen here regarding her Chinese flag blanky with an affection that suggests she has never actually wrapped herself in that government's parenting warmth.

4 comments:

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

oh how cute! love the update!! I was sad when i heard you and the kim hung out, but glad you had some good bonding! our time will come! am working on a christmas present for you both!!!

The Fanks said...

Ben, I hope you had a great birthday! Brandy, I hope you got to sleep on your call night. I hope today you get to celebrate the heck out of Ben's turning twenty-... Ben are we the same age?

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben! A hello from your friends up north in the icebox of the nation, the Adams's through Stephen. It's a balmy 27 degrees right now. I was reading your latest entry and was wondering if on my birthday when we played MarioKart 64 was it you or I to recieve the "drubbing"

Ben and Brandy said...

Steve-O!

You're such a smart lad, and still you need me to remind you who won our little birthday match? Of COURSE I won. I ALWAYS win. Mind you, sometimes I only manage a moral victory, but that's okay; a moral victory, like a favorite ugly old sweater your wife is always trying to throw out, is worth preserving and must be held tightly to. I think maybe your birthday game was a moral victory for me.

Good to hear from you, sir! I check your dad's blog about once a week, never in the hope that he'll have something to say (for I know he does), but rather that he'll vouchsafe some portion of those sage musings to the waiting world. Tell him to get on it!

What about you, old friend? Are you still bloggin'?
(Brandy just walked in, saw over my shoulder that you had written in, and emitted a happy little "Aawww." You should be flattered).